Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Co-Sleeper set up

No, Im not talking about Co-Bedding. I was never a fan of the 'family bed' scenario, I guess I was too nervous about rolling over Monkey Man, or just not a fan of giving up my bedtime activities. What we did decide to do was use a Co-Sleeper for the first 3 months of MM's life. I didn't put much thought into setting up our room, but I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful it all worked out. It all started with an over sized chair and ottoman from an old sofa set I begged my husband to let us put in our room. Then came the Co-Sleeper that my sister set up for me before I came home with MM.
Each night I would set up the bottles and diapering supplies needed, plus make sure my stock of backup sleepers and swaddle wrap were safely tucked away in the pocket of the co-sleeper. You never know when you will have a nighttime blowout.
I bet you are wondering why I didn't just feed MM while in bed. One, I had a hard enough of a time Breast Feeding MM while awake and upright, I wasn't sure I could tackle laying down, super sleepy while trying to get him to latch on. Plus I had to supplement with bottles so sitting up was better for him and kept me from dosing off. Two, I have a husband that needs sleep to function. He is a lawyer that handles some pretty important documents, I know his clients would appreciate his being awake to work on them.
When MM would start to stir, I would just plop down in my super comfy chair, put my feet up and change, re-swaddle and then feed him till he was asleep and then wedge him back into the sleep positioner. Wham, Bam, thank you mam, and it was all done in 20 minutes! I could handle that two times a night!
To this day, my husband tells every new dad friend that the co-sleeper was the best thing ever invented!
Here are the elements that made my room so sweet:
Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper. It is a bassinet that attaches to your bed so they are sleeping next to you but not in your bed. It was nice in the paranoid, new mom stage.
Boppy Pillow, Swaddle Wrap The pillow is pretty straight forward, it wraps around your mid section to give you support while you nurse or bottle feed. the swaddle wrap(which I cannot find the link for.... I hope they are still around!) was the only one Monkey Man could not get out of and was actually tight enough on him! The purpose of any swaddle wrap is to make them feel like they are still in the womb and to help them from waking themselves up with their Moro Reflex(the startle reflex that sometimes adults get.... when you startle yourself awake).
Sleep Positioner: Helps the little ones from rolling all about in the crib.

No comments:

Post a Comment